Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sugar Cookies


I know this post is coming a bit late if you wanted to make these for Valentine's Day, but do we really need an excuse to bake delicious cookies? I think not. These sugar cookies texture are soft but somewhat chewy. depending on the thickness you make them. Thicker = softer, thinner = soft/chewy, and too thin = crispy. They're my husband's favorite kind of sugar cookie and mine too. They call for a just a few ingredients, take a little bit of time, but are so worth it. I make them every Valentine's Day and hope to keep up the tradition until I'm very, very, very old. Happy cookie day!

Ingredients

8 oz package of cream cheese
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) salted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl cream together cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla. Next add in the flour and baking soda and mix until combined. Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and stick in your fridge for about 10 minutes. While your dough is chilling, prepare your workspace by cleaning/disinfecting a place to roll it out. Lightly flour your surface and rolling pin. Grab half the dough and roll into a giant ball. As evenly as possible, roll your dough out to your desired thickness. Use a cookie cutter and have it.

Once you've cut all your shapes, carefully place on a lightly floured silpat.
Now, I don't know if it's completely necessary to flour it but why risk it? Bake in oven for 9-12 minutes (10 minutes for me). Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Let your cookies cool completely (at least 30 minutes) before frosting.





Frosting ingredients

1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
3-5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium sized mixing bowl, cream together butter and 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Now add in the milk and vanilla and continue to mix. Slowly add in the rest of your powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency. I used about 4 1/2 cups or 1LB bag of powdered sugar. If you choose to color your frosting, slowly add in food coloring until you reach you preferred color.

Now, let me talk to you about my new best friend. It's this little guy...

This stuff rocks. I don't think I'll ever go back to white sugar. This stuff sweetens the same, tastes the same, light in color so it won't give your drinks any gross color, and it's just awesome. I used it today in my baking and I couldn't tell the difference. I suggest everyone head over to your closest Costco and pick up on of these 10 pounders. You won't regret it.
And aren't these the cutest teaspoons ever?

1 comment:

Mandie and Mykel Frey said...

Where did you get these teaspoons!?