Friday, March 2, 2012

Pineapple Basil juice


Pineapple and basil? In a drink? Together? Don't worry, it gets weirder, but even more delicious. Don't judge until you try it.
I remember when I first heard what was in it, I refused to drink it. But now, I seriously chug this stuff. It's so good! It's creamy, it's sweet, it's light and refreshing, and just so addicting! I could drink this everyday. I really wish I could. And bonus! It's super healthy.

Ingredients

1/2 large pineapple (or 1 small pineapple)
1 1/2 inches fresh ginger root
1 lemon
1 cup olive oil (optional)
1 bunch fresh Basil leaves
1 bunch fresh mint leaves
1 cup sugar (I use the organic evaporate cane juice)
1 cup water

The PREP: Cut your pineapple into pieces small enough to blend. Peel and if needed, slice/dice/chop whatever, your ginger root. Peel your lemon and thoroughly wash your basil and mint leaves.
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Split your mixture evenly among two, 2 liter pitchers/jugs. Add 4 cups of water to each pitcher and stir. Serve over ice or chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.

And here's the sugar (evaporated cane juice) I use. I found it at Costco in a 10lb bag.


*The drink can be "gritty" at the bottom from the pineapple and ginger, so if that bothers you, run your drink through a sieve. This step is not necessary, but just a tip for those picky, texture people :) Which would be me.

No comments: